Our project seeks to assimilate the scale of the sports centre with that of the park’s other buildings, and it does so by organizing the plan in a way that occupies the minimum footprint without rising above the other buildings. During the preliminary project, samples taken at the site revealed the remains of the walls of the former Citadel, which were built in 1714 by King Felipe V and were now five metres below the level of the park. The architectural quality and archaeological value of the remains prompted us to modify the project by adapting the geometry of the building to the form of the walls, and thus leave them standing for visitors to view.
AUTHORS ENRIC BATLLE DURANY, JOAN ROIG DURÁN – ARCHITECTS
CLIENT CIUTADELLA MINISTRY OF DEVELOPMENT
TEAM FRANCESC PUIG, EVA POLÍO, CRISTINA CASTELLVÍ – ARCHITECTS / ORIOL MARÍN – BUILDING ENGINEER